Friday 30 October 2015

Review - The Official A Game of Thrones Colouring Book by George R. R. Martin

ALL MEN MUST DRAW

In a world where weddings are red, fire is green, and debts are paid in gold, countless images leap off the page (or the screen) thanks to the eye-popping intricacy of the vivid settings and details. Now, for the first time, fans of this blockbuster saga can fill in the blanks and marvel as this meticulously imagined universe comes to life, one sword, sigil, and castle at a time. With dozens of stunning original black-and-white illustrations from world-renowned illustrators Yvonne Gilbert, John Howe, Tomislav Tomic, Adam Stower, and Levi Pinfold, this unique collector’s item expands the reach of an international phenomenon with flying colours.

I know I know, I am late to the colouring book movement. But hey, better late than never right? And what better way to begin my entry into the bright and vivid world of colouring in then with Game of Thrones! 

The Official A Game of Thrones colouring book landed on my doorstep only a few days ago, but after flicking through it quickly I hopped in the car and went and bought a decent set of coloured pencils so I could jump right in. The artwork is just... amazing. I can't think of a better word for it. The artists (Howe, Gilbert, Tomic, Stower and Pinfold) have gone above and beyond with their illustrations, ranging from self portraits of characters like Cersei through to depictions of Winterfell and Dragonstone. We also get pictures of House emblems, other cities, loads of creatures (YAY... DRAGONS!), and other key individuals from the books. And each illustration is different in style too (due to there being five different artists collaborating throughout this work), which makes for a new and interesting experience with every page. I also adored the quotes that are sprinkled throughout the book, showing us the passages that inspired the artists and their illustrations. 

The potential for this book to become a time sink is high, but that's ok because, as a colouring book, you can drop in and out of it whenever you feel like it. And for the record, I will not be colouring every picture red (although I am tempted... so much blood has been spilled).


All in all this colouring book has been beautifully designed and arranged, and I think it is a must have for any fan of the series or colouring in general. I know a lot of my spare time over the next few weeks will be spent filling in the lines and coming up with wicked colour combinations. So get in on the fun! 

4 out of 5 stars. 

A review copy was provided. 

No comments:

Post a Comment