Thursday 18 December 2014

Week in Review

Hello Everyone!

Well... it's that time of the year again... the festive season is ramping up, and people are stressed out of their minds! 

Despite my attempts to escape the bedlam I have still been flat chat. Family gatherings, massive feasts of food and booze, house renovations, Christmas shopping and a sick child have all conspired against me. This has meant my blogging has been irregular as of late, and for that I apologise. 

My plan to have a regular series of blogs and opinion pieces have been put on the back burner until after Christmas, when I will have more time and energy to devote to them. Still, I did manage to post a couple of reviews... my thoughts on Vicious by VE Schwab and Unwrapped Sky by Rjurik Davidson can be found by scrolling down. 

January is looking to be a very busy month for Smash Dragons. I can confirm that we will be featuring interviews with Dan Adams, Rjuirk Davidson, and Ben Peek. I am also organising other interviews for early 2015 as well. At this stage my targets include Karen Miller, Trudi Canavan, Jo Anderton and Alan Baxter. Wish me luck! 

I can also confirm that my regular opinion piece 'Piercing My Cranium' will begin (I promise... I really do). I will also be posting reviews of Alan Baxter's Bound and Obsidian, Pierce Brown's Red Rising and Golden Son, WC Bauer's Unbreakable, and Snorri Kristijansson's Blood will Follow. I am hoping to also obtain (once it's released) a copy of Brian Staveley's Providence of Fire to review. Like said earlier, January is going to be very busy! 

This Christmas I made an effort to try and support local writers by only purchasing their books. I firmly believe we need to nurture our talent here in this country, and one of the best ways to do that is to dip into your wallet to support them. It makes writers and publishers very happy, and it keeps great storytellers in the business. I would implore you all to do the same. A few more sales can be the difference between staying in the game or leaving for some writers. 

So what am I looking forward to in 2015... wow... so many things! Joe Abercrombie coming to Australia... Neil Gaiman as well... finally getting my library/office renovated and set up... going on a big holiday with my wife and daughter (been planning for awhile now)... and reading so many new books. 

Here's a quick list of books I'm excited to read in 2015:

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson
Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley
The Stars Askew by Rjurik Davidson
A Darker Shade of Magic by VE Schwab
Leviathan's Blood by Ben Peek
Guns of the Dawn by Adrian Tchaikovsky 
The Skull Throne by Peter V. Brett
Those Above by Daniel Polansky
The Mechanical by Ian Tregillis
The Liar's Key by Mark Lawrence
Queen of Fire by Anthony Ryan
The Dinosaur Lords by Victor Milan
Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear
Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb

There are so many more... but it would take forever to write! A cracking year ahead!

Finally, we here at Smash Dragons would like to thank you for your support. I have received emails from all over the world, and it warms my heart to know there are thousands of speculative fiction lovers around the world just like me! I just want to wish you all a very merry Christmas and festive season. Stay safe, be merry, and eat and drink lots of good food and booze!

Kind Regards,

Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment