Monday 17 November 2014

Week in Review

Greetings all!

Firstly I must apologise for my lack of posts these past few days... I have been laid up after having day surgery the other week. Had some tests done, and fingers and toes crossed it is nothing too serious! Will know more later this week.

Book Acquisitions -

In book acquisitions this week I have come into possession (via Netgalley and my own wallet) of the following titles...

ARC of Gemini Cell by Myke Cole (Netgalley)
ARC preview of A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (Netgalley)
The Glass Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg (Netgalley)
Suicide Exhibition by Justin Richards (Netgalley)
A City Stained Red by Sam Sykes (my own wallet)

My reading pile has taken on a life of its own... I really should give it a name... any suggestions? Naturally as I chew through the books I will post reviews up on here and/or my Goodreads page. If you have any books you would like me to review please, by all means, drop me a line and let me know.

Personally I cannot wait to tackle A City Stained Red... have been hearing lots of good things on the grapevine about it!

News -

Amazon and Hatchette have finally buried... the hatchet... BAM BOOM... ok so that sucked... and admittedly I stole the joke from Brent Weeks... he won't punish me... will he? In all seriousness though this is good news... it has been a right pain in the ass for readers and a full on nightmare for authors who suddenly found their products railroaded by the dispute. A good result finally!

The Goodreads Awards for 2014 have reached the semifinal stage. Log in, and vote for your favourite reads of 2014 in different categories people! If you loved the book... vote... it will help your favourite author by not only giving them a viral cuddle (that sounds wrong actually) but it will also see a spike in their sales. More sales means more chance of future books, and not poverty stricken authors begging to sup from the bowls of GRRM!

Galaxy Bookshop in Sydney is having an in-store signing by Juliet Marillier on December the 6th. Please see their website at www.galaxybooks.com.au for more information!

Finally, in other news, I am no longer a YA snob! I used to be one of those readers who looked at adults with disdain when I saw them wax lyrical about the latest YA books. Now, I am one of those adults. My evolution has been a month or two in the making. It began when I read Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson. To my surprise I loved it! Since then I have tackled Harry Potter, City of Bones, and Half a King (see review on blog). Have throughly enjoyed them all. I will now be the first to admit that I was wrong... thats it... lap it up... it doesn't happen often (my wife disagrees!). There is some bloody awesome YA fiction out there!

Enjoy your reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment