Tuesday 18 November 2014

Book Review - Hounded by Kevin Hearne

This book was recommended to me by a friend of mine, so I finally decided to get around to reading it before I offended my friend! I'm glad I did. It reminded me of when I first stumbled across Stormfront by Jim Butcher, and how I felt after finishing that book. 

Fulfilled, in a totally non-weird way. 

Hounded introduces us to Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids. He lives peacefully in Arizona, where he owns and runs an occult bookshop. But all is not well, Atticus has in his possession Fragarach, a magical sword of great power, and an angry Celtic god wants it and will do anything to get it!





Hounded was incredibly well written and fast paced. As the story unfolded Hearne built a fascinating and unique world that brought many smiles to my face. I found the magic well thought out and interesting, and I especially loved the incorporation of other magical users and supernatural beings into the plot. What carries this story however is the incredible wit that is wielded by Hearne. The pop culture references throughout made me chuckle, and the dialogue had me having to put the book down at times to just have a good laugh! Attitcus is genuinely funny, and his interaction with his wolfhound is truly how I would imagine a conversation with my dog would unfold! 

Inevitably comparisons will be made between the Iron Druid Chronicles and the Dresden Files, but I think Hearne has written a unique, fun, and absorbing tale that I cannot wait to dive into more! 

4 out of 5 Stars!

Note - Image is the property of Del Rey.

No comments:

Post a Comment